Thursday, January 10, 2019

WW2 Fallen - Austin Gough, 14th Armored Division

Austin Gough served in the 19th Armored Infantry Battalion from France to Germany.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/84871228/austin-c-gough/photo
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/538672805424104834/ 
Austin C. Gough never had a chance to reach 100 years old today. Instead, he sacrificed his life for our freedom.

He was born on January 10, 1919 in West Virginia. His parents Charley and Ora were also both born in West Virginia. His father worked as a coal miner. After taking his family to Ohio, he worked as a carpenter and later as a pipe fitter. Austin had two older brothers, one older sister, four younger sisters and one younger brother. By 1940, Austin had complete a grammar school level of education. Austin married Louis Love on March 24, 1940. They did not stay married, but did have a daughter. He later married Goldie Cessac on June 21, 1942. They had two sons.

He was drafted into the army on November 24, 1942. He became a Tec5 in Company B, 19th Armored Infantry Battalion, 14th Armored Division. The 14th AD arrived in Southern France in late October 1944. The 14th AD fought through the Vosges Mountains and Alsatian Plain. It fought back the last German offensive, Operation Nordwind. Over five months of fighting, Cpl. Gough was hospitalized four times for combat fatigue. Each time he was sent back to the front, the final time he was sent to a different armored division, but I was not able to determine which one.
Shortly before his death, Cpl. Gough wrote one of his brothers: "Though death knows no certain hour, it is exciting to me -- fearful. I watch and creep. Hidden in the dark, sometimes I weep. The din of exploding shell has aged me. My only hope is to live. It's so easy to say you're patriotic and boast that our army is so strong, but its really you upon the battle field - then you change your little song."

Cpl. Gough went missing in action on April 20, 1945 when a German counterattack near Burgthann, Germany overwhelmed his unit. It was not until late August that his family learned he had died that day and been buried by local civilians.

His grave is at Cedar Hill Cemetery, Newark, Ohio. His widow remarried after the war and died in 2013. One son died of cancer at age 14. His daughter and other son may yet be alive.

Thank you Cpl. Gough for your sacrifice. Let's Earn It for Austin.

Last year on this date I profiled Ploiesti Distinguished Service Cross hero and B-24 navigator Robert Johnson. You can read about Robert here.

On behalf of the fallen, if you would like to see more people become aware of this project to honor the WW2 fallen, be sure to share with others on Twitter, Facebook, etc. Thanks for your interest!

I created this video to explain why I started this project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXt8QA481lY.

Follow on Twitter @ww2fallen100
Please consider joining the public Facebook group to increase the exposure of this project. Go to: WW2 Fallen 100

WW2 Fallen 100 is supported by

The Greatest GENERATIONS Foundation

“Where Every Day is Memorial Day”

7 comments:

  1. Austin Gough was my grandfather, of whom I never met. I heard many stories growing up with his last surviving son through Goldie Cessac. I was told he was a poet and song writer and even had the privledge of holding some of his handwritten words in my hands, sent from himself to my grandmother Goldie. His name and memory have been carried on through our family. My brother, Austin James Gough, and my oldest son's first son Austin See.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding this extra information about Cpl. Gough. How do you pronounce his name?

      Delete
    2. Please check back to your original comment. Another family member of Cpl. Gough is trying to get ahold of you. Don Milne

      Delete
  2. I’m having trouble posting to this site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Austin Gough is my great uncle. My grandmother (Virginia Gough) was Austin’s sister.
    I would love to connected with the family member that posted above.
    His name and memory are definitely being carried on through our family.
    My grandmother never got over losing him and told his story many, many times.
    Handsome, smart, brave ... and a very talented singer-songwriter.
    I have pictures I would love them with other members of our extended family.
    My email address is:
    nelsonsearch@icloud.com

    Happy 100th birthday Uncle Austin
    - remembered and loved -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nelson,
      The Unknown person who left the first comment on Feb 2, 2020 did not identify themselves. I think they may get a message when someone else posts a comment here. Hopefully, he or she will respond so you can get connected. I will also post a message in case an Administrator message gets more attention.
      Don Milne

      Delete
  4. The last name is pronounced like (Goff).

    ReplyDelete