Saturday, October 6, 2018

WW2 Fallen - Joe Hargette, 34th Infantry Division

Pvt. Joe Hargette served with the 34th Infantry Division in Italy.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/63887564/joe-m-hargette
Joe McDonald Hargette never had a chance to reach 100 years old today. Instead, he sacrificed his life for our freedom.

He was born on October 6, 1918 in Union, North Carolina. His parents Vernon and Bertha Lee were also both born in North Carolina. His father worked as a farm wespper at a cotton mill and later owned a barbershop. He had one older brother. By 1940 Joe had completed one year of high school and was working 50 hours a week as an office clerk at Cannon Mills Wrapping and Packaging. Interestingly, I found nothing on his brother until his Social Security application after death, other than a family reunion in May of 1944.

He entered his draft card on October 16, 1940 along with his brother, Morris.

His official enlistment was April 9, 1942.

He was a private in the 135th Infantry, 34th Division, U.S. Army.

I found very little about his time in the ETO, as it seems that he was overseas only three months prior to his death. After his death, his mother received his Bible, which he always carried in his breast pocket. The Bible had a bullet hole in it.

In his obituary, the following letter was recorded. It was received by his parents the day before he was killed.

Dear Mother and Dad, I trust that these few lines will find you well and putting all your trust in the Lord. These days I am running into things I never expected, but God has a purpose. If the Lord takes me away, I will have a good home in glory. But the way I have it pictured is that my faith in God is being tested right now. Some day after this war, I hope and I pray that I might be able to spread the gospel of love, and teach men the way to God. I know I have some one with me that I can put my cares and trust on, and can cheer me on life’s way. 1 Peter 5:7 “Putting all your cares upon Him, for he careth for you. Phillippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Pvt Hargette was killed in Italy, July 23, 1944.

His father lived until 1973, and his mother 1970.

His grave is at Sharon Memorial Park, Charlotte, North Carolina.

Thank you Pvt. Hargette for your sacrifice. Let's Earn It for Joe.

______
This profile was researched and written by Chris Prough - "Father of eight children, just celebrated his 30th anniversary with his lovely wife Susanne. Lives in Mount Pleasant, IA, where there are no mountains and the jury is still out on the whole "pleasant" thing. Lover of history since a child. I believe in this endeavor as my own great uncle, Harold Ozmun, will be featured December 15. Many thanks to Don for affording me the privilege to help him out."
On behalf of the fallen, if you would like to see more people become aware of this project to honor the WW2 fallen, be sure to share with others on Twitter, Facebook, etc. Thanks for your interest!

Follow on Twitter @ww2fallen100
Please consider joining the public Facebook group to increase the exposure of this project. Go to: WW2 Fallen 100

WW2 Fallen 100 is supported by
The Greatest GENERATIONS Foundation
“Where Every Day is Memorial Day”

1 comment:

  1. I silently salute any person who fought in WWII. For most it wasn't even a question whether or not to fight, but that didn't make it any easier. From one veteran to all of the fallen, I will remember you.

    ReplyDelete