Tuesday, February 14, 2017

WW2 Fallen - Three Valentine Stories

World War 2 era Valentine's Day card.
https://www.pinterest.com/chandagaeth/valentine/

As has happened a couple of times on other dates so far, I could not find enough information among the fallen who were born 100 years ago on February 14, 1917 to write up a profile.

So instead, I will bring attention to a few of the fallen with stories that are appropriate for Valentine's Day.

When I started this project at the start of the year, I was confident that I would find many compelling stories about these mostly forgotten fallen. These are more than just names on a war memorial in their home towns or stars on the Wall of Stars at the National World War II Memorial. They were sons, sometimes husbands, sometimes fathers. In their mid-twenties they had a future that should have encompassed the rest of the 20th century most likely shared with someone to love. They had dreams that went unfulfilled. They left girlfriends or wives who lost their sweethearts.

Here are three examples from the stories I have researched so far:
  • What Bernice did after her pilot husband Harold Barnett died: here.
  • The message Johnston Wiles's former girlfriend left him 58 years after he died: here.
  • The dying words from the soldier I will profile on March 10: "Please write my wife a letter and tell her I love her, and also that I did everything I could for her and for my country. So long, Dozier, give 'em hell for me, I'm done for." Check back on March 10 for the story of this medal winning sergeant.
If you would like to see more people become aware of this project to honor the WW2 fallen, be sure to share with others. Thanks for your interest!

Follow on Twitter @ww2fallen100
Join public Facebook group WW2 Fallen 100

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/be-good-darling-wont-long-5152082

No comments:

Post a Comment