Sunday, November 24, 2019

WW2 Luzon Fallen - Roy Hamilton, 25th Infantry Division

Sgt. Roy Hamilton served with the 25th Infantry Division in Luzon
Roy T. Hamilton never had a chance to reach 100 years old today. Instead, he sacrificed his life for our freedom.

Roy was born on November 24, 1919 in Decatur, Alabama. His parents Richard and Tressie were also born in Alabama. Roy’s father worked as a repairman in a steam locomotive shop and as a carpenter. Roy had one older brother and five younger brothers. By 1940, Roy had graduated from Austinville High School and was living at home with his parents in Decatur and working as a farm hand.

He was drafted into the US Army in February 1942 and served as a sergeant in the 27th Infantry Regiment of the 25th Infantry Division. The division was based in Hawaii and began combat operations on Guadalcanal in November 1942, and also fought on Vella Lavella and New Georgia thru October 1943. The division then moved to New Zealand for rest and later to New Caledonia for training. The division then took part in the liberation of the Philippines, landing on Luzon on 11 January 1945. Sgt. Hamilton was killed in combat on Luzon on 30 January 1945. 

Several months later, Sgt. Hamilton’s mother received a letter from his commanding officer telling her how he died. Following is an excerpt from the letter printed in the 12 June 1945 issue of The Decatur (Alabama) Daily:

My dear, Mrs. Hamilton, 
...I was your son’s platoon leader … I thought a lot of Roy and it was a great shock to me. He was one of the cleanest living, most dependable, honest men that I’ve ever had the good fortune to work with. He never gave me the least bit of trouble and willingly did what he was told to do. The rest of the men thought of him as a brother. When I get back I hope I have a son like him. I have a small idea as to how much the loss of a son means to you. You raised him to young manhood, giving him the best possible training you could. I took over where you left off. ...When one of my men is killed or wounded it is a great blow to me. I not only lose a friend but I think of their mothers and family. Roy was the first in my platoon to go. An enemy shell exploded in a tree above him and he never knew what happened. ...I pray to God that the wound in your heart heals soon. … I hope your other sons come home safely.
Respectfully, 
Lt. George K. Grant, 
Co A, 27th Infantry

Roy T. Hamilton is buried in Roselawn Garden of Memory, Decatur, Alabama. Three of his brothers also served in the Armed Forces and survived the war. 

Thank you Sgt. Hamilton for your sacrifice. Let's Earn It for Roy.
_____
This profile was written by Bob Fuerst. "I’m a NASA engineer, B-17 Flying Fortress enthusiast, and amateur genealogist so this kind of research is an ideal outlet for me. But more than anything, it’s a way to express my sincere appreciation for The Greatest Generation and the sacrifices that they made, especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice. They should never be forgotten and I’m grateful to Don for allowing me to play a small part in honoring them." 

Last year on this date I profiled Normandy fallen Fleming Davis of the 9th Infantry Division. You can read about Fleming here.

On behalf of the fallen, if you would like to see more people become aware of this project to honor the WW2 fallen, be sure to share with others on Twitter, Facebook, etc. Thanks for your interest!

I created this video to explain why I started this project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXt8QA481lY.

Follow on Twitter @ww2fallen100
Please consider joining the public Facebook group to increase the exposure of this project. Go to: WW2 Fallen 100

WW2 Fallen 100 is supported by
The Greatest GENERATIONS Foundation
“Where Every Day is Memorial Day”

2 comments:

  1. Please do one on my great cousin he is turning 100 march 11 2020 born march 11 1920 his name is martin leo heim died 10/13/1944 kia on peleliu was 1st marine division was only 24 years old when shot by a ajap sniper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be happy to. Do you have any photos or other information about him I should reference?

      Delete