Sunday, December 9, 2018

WW2 Saipan Fallen - Bronze Star hero Jack Shelly, 2nd Marine Division

Sgt. Jack Shelly served with the 2nd Marine Division from Tulagi to Saipan.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/5230495/jack-edward-shelly
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/battle-saipan-ended-74-years-142828696.html
Jack Edward Shelly never had a chance to reach 100 years old today. Instead, he sacrificed his life for our freedom.

He was born on December 9, 1918 in Akron, Ohio. His parents Harry and Katherine were also both born in Ohio. His father worked as a rubber factory machinist and later as a bookkeeper for a plumbing company. Jack had one older sister. The Shellys divorced sometime in the 1930s. After completing high school he worked for Standard Oil Company.

He volunteered for the US Marines on August 1, 1941. He rose to the rank of sergeant in Company A, 2nd Marine Tank Battalion, 2nd Marine Division.

Sgt. Shelly's regiment captured Tulagi Island in August 1942 while the main force of Marines landed on Guadalcanal. It later moved to join the fighting on Guadalcanal. Next it took part in the invasion of Tarawa in November 1943.

Sgt. Shelly's company went in with the first marines to land on Saipan on June 15, 1944. He was killed that day by aircraft machine-gun fire, probably by mistake, from American planes.

At some point in his service, Sgt. Shelly was award the Bronze Star. I was not able to find a citation explaining the action.

His grave is at Mount Peace Cemetery in Akron, Ohio.

Jack's cousin created a blog to honor him. See here.

Thank you Sgt. Shelly for your sacrifice. Let's Earn It for Jack.

See comment below for more details from Sgt. Shelly's cousin.

Last year on this date I profiled Sgt. Forrest "Lefty" Brewer, an 82nd Airborne Division paratrooper killed on D-Day. You can read about Lefty here.

On behalf of the fallen, if you would like to see more people become aware of this project to honor the WW2 fallen, be sure to share with others on Twitter, Facebook, etc. Thanks for your interest!

I created this video to explain why I started this project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXt8QA481lY.

Follow on Twitter @ww2fallen100
Please consider joining the public Facebook group to increase the exposure of this project. Go to: WW2 Fallen 100

WW2 Fallen 100 is supported by

The Greatest GENERATIONS Foundation

“Where Every Day is Memorial Day”

1 comment:

  1. Hello Don ~
    Thanks so much for choosing Jack for this. I never met him personally but I grew up with the family talking about him from time to time. Had you not written, I would not have known about his 100th coming up. I will put a flag on his grave the day before. Thanks again!

    As far as me adding anything, heck, you told ME some things I didn't know. My sister, who is in her late 80s is still living and remembers Jack very well. I sent your letter to her. She remembers when he was killed and how the family had a memorial service. Jack's mother was so upset that her son would not be coming home. Then in 1949, a letter came saying that his remains would be dug up and returned to Akron. So they had a funeral for him. My grandfather saw Jack when he arrived and told me many years later that when they opened the military box, it was just bones. Sad!

    I think the sadist thing was, one of Jack's "buddies" dug the aircraft bullet that had killed jack out of the ground, mounted it on another shell casing and, when he came though Akron for a visit, presented it to Jack's mother. I don't know how she reacted but I know she gave it to my dad. He kept it on a shelf in his basement workshop until 1967 when he died. Today it is in my den about three feet from where I am sitting writing this. A sad and terrible keepsake. But no one in the family could ever bring themselves to throw it away. I guess Jack's buddy thought he was doing the right thing. So we can't fault him.

    I remember my mom saying that Jack had a girlfriend when he enlisted in the Marines. But I can't remember the girl's name or whatever happened to her.

    We've had several members of our family serve in the military, including myself, Army 1970-1973. But Jack was only the second, and so far, last to have been killed in action. The first was John Bogard who died at Andersonville POW Camp during the Civil War.

    Okay, my ramblings are done. Again Don, thanks so much for selecting Jack for this honor. To what I know, he was a great guy who everyone loved. And, like so many others, he wanted so badly to serve our country. Good luck to you and let me know if there is any more on Jack. Ed ~

    ReplyDelete